|Sweet forecast, courtesy of WindGuru of course...|
Here is the week's summary with some photos:
Arrived Saturday night after long trip through Delaware (slow, $30+ in tolls). Kicked it off with the usual trip to the Food Lion to initiate beer-o-rama. Beer quickly eliminating the frustration of arriving to a busted hot tub (a role it continued to fulfill adequately all week).
Sunday - no wind, but warm, sunny and nice clean 1-2' waves on the ocean. Took out the SUP (with no rubber on yeah!), gawked at the pods of bottlenose dolphins swimming by me within 20-30 ft, surfed a few waves and had a blast. Makes me think again about picking up another smaller wave-oriented SUP, something like THIS in 8'6" perhaps? Yes please. Surfing really is a damn fun sport. Here's a wee vid of one of the waves:
Monday - light winds to start the day but building by late afternoon. Sailed the Canadian Hole from about 3pm onwards on 5.3 Banzai with the 105L One (with MFC 22cm FS fin). Took a while to get 'er all figured out, but had some fun blasting around ironing out the winter kinks, getting the blisters started and giving the shoulders something to scream about.
Tuesday - strong southerlies (that didn't end up being that strong) - sailed the Cdn Hole again with 4.2 and the wave board. Tough finding any bumps to play with, but some fun nonetheless. Starting to pine for the ocean but Ego Beach looked nasty atrocious - just a trip out there would have been solely to stroke the ego. It was ugly. Didn't go. It was notably the last warm day of the trip! Rainy, but a balmy 22°C.
|A little sand blasting never hurt a camera did it?|
|On a chest high wave at Isabelle's.|
|One of many that got away... :(|
|Perfecting my ducks at the Hole.|
- Thanks to Andy at Wind-NC for giving us the spot low-down. Sorry we never got to sail together Andy!
- No thanks to Hatteras Realty for the lame hot-tub that they could not fix during our stay. Boo! We're old men now, we need that hot tub!
- Thanks to Bill Bell, author of the OBX Beach Life blog for an on-the-spot report from Nags Head. Didn't get up there, but thanks for taking the time! Much appreciated. Here's Bill's report of April wave sailing action.
- The Goya Banzai's are sweet and combo those with the 211 Carbon boom and bingo...
- Bummer to see Avon Sail House shutting down the doors. Best of luck to Margaret in future endeavours! S
- Never seen so much shitty reality TV as I did down there... Bizarre Foods? Deadliest Catch? fark... And if you were not into reality TV, you could always tune into the Forrest Gump channel that played it every night. My own fault though - brought down four books and didn't crack a single one. Too tired to read, so I let the reality TV dull my senses. My already dimmed IQ dropped a couple extra notches.
- SUP in good waves is awesome fun, especially with dolphins!
Hatteras is just so much fun. Can't wait to do it again!